Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wedendays Woe...

I did something stupid today...

I put something in my Facebook that I should have known was going to cause a issue with people.

I put in an anti-Jenny McCarthy post.

I forgot that my cousin has a child that has been diagnosed with autism.

Needless to say, that did not go over well.

The bad thing is that I forgot that it's hard to argue a point with someone so close to home.

Nothing I said was taken in the context with which it was meant. It was taken personally by my cousin and her husband. They saw it as if I was belitting their knowledge of the subject. They said that I was being one-sided, when I was just pointing out that things aren't always what they seem at face value.

In short, they got offended. This wasn't what I intended, and I'm kicking myself for it.

I'm going to take it as a learning experience; people take things personally when it's their issue, and you can't try to be rational about it to them. You just end up looking like a jerk.

Especially with family...

Later,

MiddleMan

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to read that... I posted an Anti-McCarthy thing last week and my responses were mostly supportive...

    But, were I to link to something outright anti-Christian, my family would be up in arms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. I was more surprised at how upset they got more than anything. Not expecting that kind of response from people close to me. I'm used to reading it on an anonymous basis.

    I need to write here more...

    ReplyDelete